Current Antarctic ozone hole 9th largest on record
The Antarctic ozone hole, which yawns wide every Southern Hemisphere spring, reached its annual peak on Sept. 12, becoming the ninth largest ozone hole on record.
According to data obtained by NASA and the National Oceanic and AtmosphericAdministration (NOAA), the ozone hole stretched to 10.05 million square miles.
Above the South Pole, the ozone hole reached its deepest point of the season on Oct. 9, tying this year for the 10th lowest in this 26-year record.
NASA and NOAA use balloon-borne instruments, ground-based instruments and satellites to monitor the annual Antarctic ozone hole, global levels of ozone in the stratosphere and the manmade chemicals that contribute to ozone depletion.
“The colder than average temperatures in the stratosphere this year caused a larger than average ozone hole,” said Paul Newman, chief scientist for atmospheres at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Centre in Greenbelt, Md.
“Even though it was relatively large, the area of this year’s ozone hole was within the range we’d expect given the levels of manmade ozone-depleting chemicals that continue to persist in the atmosphere,” he noted.
James Butler, director of NOAA””s Global Monitoring Division in Boulder, Colo said, “The manmade chemicals known to destroy ozone are slowly declining because of international action, but there are still large amounts of these chemicals doing damage.”
NASA currently measures ozone in the stratosphere with the Dutch-Finnish Ozone Monitoring Instrument, or OMI, on board the Aura satellite.
The instrument measured the 2011 ozone hole at its deepest at 95 Dobson units on Oct. 8 this year.
This differs slightly from NOAA””s balloon-borne ozone observations from the South Pole (102 Dobson units) because OMI measures ozone across the entire Antarctic region.
NOAA has been tracking ozone depletion around the globe, including the South Pole, from several perspectives.
NOAA also tracks ozone with ground-based instruments and from space.
Technology & Science
Danger during thunderstorms Lightning claims quite a few lives and injures many
Ranchi, 23 June 2012 :: A Seminar was organised in Indian Institute of Manageme
Ranchi, 17 March 2012 :: Xavier Institute of Social Services, Ranchi organised 2
Former President feels the present education system needs to be changed Did you
The next generation Apple smartphone, the iPhone 4S has arrived in India at the
NEW DELHI : Rumours were already floating about the launch of iPhone 4S in Novem
The Antarctic ozone hole, which yawns wide every Southern Hemisphere spring, rea
LONDON : A new scientific survey has suggested an athlete's ability to push hims
London, Sept 24 (ANI): A quirk in Facebook's latest redesign has now made it eas
NEW DELHI : Toyota, the world's top carmaker, launched the diesel versions of it
NASA has released a new 3D free interactive web based application enabling viewe
Loop Mobile, one of the oldest mobile operators in India, has launched the Mobil
PUNE, India -- BMW AG's India unit Thursday said it has raised capacity at its f
You have to hand it to telemarketers, they always manage to find the most inconv
During October , last year, software giant, Microsoft had sought legal action ag
NEW DELHI: Research In Motion, the maker of BlackBerry, today launched its new s
NEW DELHI: Apple seems to be going all out against its rivals in the tablet spac
KOREAN PHONE MAKER Samsung has confirmed that its will market its Galaxy R smart
Gold Medal Award
धरना और उपवास
Ranchi Obstetric & Gynaecological Society (ROGS) Conducted a CME cum Seminar on Infertility- Best Results in PCOS and IUI
Ranchi, 22 July 2012 :: Ranchi Obstetric & Gynaecological Society (ROGS) Conducted a C.
- Blood Donation awareness Rally by Marwari Yuwa Manchi.
- Rural Health Camp by Ranchi Obstetric & Gynaecological Society (ROGS) in Tunju village.
- Launching of Super Specialised Orthopedic Services in Hill View Hospital & Reserch Centre
- Launching of Specialised Orthopedic Services in Hill View Hospital & Research Center on 9th of June 2012.
- Free dental checkup and Medicine distribution camp.
- Inaguration of Sri. Tirupati Dental Clinic & Implant Centre
- Dr. Hahnemann Jayanti
Happy Birthday :: Kishore Kumar [ 04 August ]
04 August 2012 :: Kishore Kumar was born on 4th of August 1929. His original name was A.
- Friday Box Office : Jism 2 [ 03 August 12 ]
- Team of Satyamev Jayate
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah is the favorite SAB TV program says Jharkhandmirror.com online poll
- Froday Box Office : Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum & Aalaap [ 27 July 12 ]
- Happy Birthday : Manoj Kumar [ 24 July ]
- Superstar Rajesh Khanna passes away
- Happy Birthday : Katrina Kaif [ 16 July ]
Presidents of India
July 22, 2012 :: In India, President is head & first citizen of India. India's preside.
- Pranab Mukherjee will be 13th President of India
- Happy Birthday : Rahul Gandhi [ 19 June ]
- Rajnath singh met CM Arjun Munda
- महानगर कांग्रेस की बैठक
- झारखण्ड विकास मोर्चा की राष्ट्रीय कार्य समिति की बैठक
- Hemant Soren & Sanjeev Kumar met Sudesh Mahto.
- Pradeep Kumar Balmuchu, candidate of Congress filled Nomination for Rajya Sabha Member
Happy Birthday : Azim Premji [ 24 July ]
24 July 2012 :: Azim Hashim Premji was born on 24th July 1945. He is an Indian business .
Do’s and Don’ts of Thundering
Danger during thunderstorms Lightning claims quite a few lives and injures many every year.
- Seminar on Conflict Management, a case study on movie Chak De India by IIM, Ranchi
- 2nd JRD Tata Memorial Lecture on Agriculture, Food Security, & a Happy India
- Kalam lays stress on ‘creative teaching’
- iPhone 4S Laounched in India
- iPhone 4S to launch : Nov 25
- Current Antarctic ozone hole 9th largest on record
- In final lap, athlete’s brain tricks body
Photo of The Day
November 13, 2011 10:06 am
September 11, 2011 7:06 am
August 28, 2011 1:07 pm